Weather check today.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

41Dude

Single-Sixer
It is -12 here with high winds. Don't go outdoors unless you have to. Haven't seen a storm like this for years. Really glad I don't live out in the hinterlands. With near zero visibility, it would be easy to get trapped in this. Find you in the spring......
A little off topic. I laugh when I see your handle.
Years ago my son bought his first small fishing boat. Painted Ol' Turd on the stern.
Makes me smile thinking about it.

We're 15 degrees right now and sleeting. I just got a call from a cousin out in the country. They have no power and apparently no water. And their generator is uncooperative. The battery in their car is dead, so their neighbor is bringing them in to the suburbs to spend time in our warm house until they get their power back.

In younger days, we'd muddle thru a little weather. At 70+ , it's not always so easy.

And when a person lives on the grid or otherwise in the sticks, it's wise not to trust your life to luck. A little maintenance and prevention is priceless.

Last edited:
My Daughter who lives in Helena MT said it was a weeeeee bit cold there. Last night 1-13 it was -35, at 11;00 today it is -31. These temps were at the airport it could be a little colder at her house.
I worked outside on a project in a Russian winter with temps -30 to-20. Also worked on winter projects in China, South Korea, and Canada.
I hate cold weather but it is amazing what you will do for extra money :) :) It's going to be high 60s today and Sunday but will get cold Monday Tuesday lows of 20-17 Way to cold.

BearBiologist

Hunter
Eastern Washington here: Coudy, no precip! Currently -6F, going up to +4, then back to -6 tonite.

Yesterday: woke up to 7-8" and +4 for a high.

Ride1949

Hunter
3° and still snowing here in Central Oregon. We got about 5" of snow overnight. Headed for -4° tonight. With 7-9" of new snow predicted. I'm sitting here in the desert watching the steam rolling out of my truck's radiator. Guess I need to add a little more anti- freeze. :(

ProfessorWes

Hawkeye
🤣🤣🤣

Go ahead and freeze. I'll be listening to the game on the Chiefs Radio Network from the safety, comfort and warmth of my living room, with a nice bowl of Carroll Shelby's chili. (Radio, because the NFL and Peacock can get bent. And Mitch Holthus calls a better game anyway.)

22 here in Western Oregon, 50 miles south of Portland. My phone has been saying heavy snow all day, but all we have is 1/4" of snow from last night, that is now covered in freezing rain. Guessing about 3/4" of ice. I have used a broom twice too clear the ice from 3, 10' X 20' tarp covered carports. What is left of my trees are experienced after the "ice storm of the century" last February. I have a pellet stove and wood stove burning, just waiting for the power to go out anytime. Probably need chains on my feet to drag the generator out of the shop and up to the house.

ProfessorWes

Hawkeye
So how cold is it in KC tonight?

Andy Reid's frozen mustache might be the highlight of the game. Although a close second might be the video of somebody taking a bottle of water out of one of the concession-stand coolers at Arrowhead, and watching it freeze solid in about five seconds. 🥶

Last edited:

ProfessorWes

Hawkeye
So how cold is it in KC tonight? Patrick Mahomes took a hit and his helmet fractured. Amazingly, no concussion protocol for Mahomes. And unsurprisingly no penalty on Miami for helmet-to-helmet contact.

We actually had a pretty nice day. It got up to 59° and the wind was only a breeze. The prediction for Monday night is 7°, which is pretty cool for the Big Bend.

gnappi

Blackhawk
It dipped down into the 60's today here in south Florida. Brrr I cranked up my mini heater.

41Dude

Single-Sixer
It dipped down into the 60's today here in south Florida. Brrr I cranked up my mini heater.
20240114_044906.jpg

From storm yesterday and last night. Currently 14 degrees. I told snow shovel to get started without me but it's ignoring me :(

Just got done getting another 3" of rain, now 33* this morning. Had a historic high tide at the coast which caused a lot of flooding and damage. Over 14.5ft, highest recorded since 1912. Been a really bizarre start to the winter.

cwweld

Bearcat
Lots of snow here in northern IL, but the temps have not been bad, hovering around 32 degrees. But tomorrow the temps drop to low single digits, and by Tuesday we are expecting a high of about -1 degree. The snowstorm caused the schools to be closed and lots of businesses as well, and the same might happen from the really cold weather that is coming. I would guess that when it gets down around zero degrees a high percentage of cars and trucks will be unable to start.

Wish I could convince my wife to consider selling our home and moving south. But with 3 of my 5 grown kids nearby, and 9 or our 13 grandchildren here, plus my wife having a circle of close friends, I think we are not going anywhere despite the bone chilling weather. The few real friends that I have had are either moved away, or dead, so moving would not be a problem for me personally. I do find that the older I get the less tolerant of the cold I become.

Latest posts